Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Flour Burfi

Simple and easy burfis that can be made in minutes and tastes amazing and soft. It actually tastes much like Kaju katli. If you are looking for a quick last minute sweet to make, this is your perfect choice.

I had been seeing so many posts about Maida burfi and they looked mouthwatering. I decided to try them too but not with Maida. Wheat flour is not so different from Maida so I thought I will try it and also replaced Ghee with olive oil. The taste was great but Burfis were rock hard when they cooled down. So I made it with Ghee this time and guess what, they are soft, crumbly and so very tasty.

Though I have not replaced Ghee with oil, I have used very little ghee, as little as 2 tablespoons. You can alter the quantity as per your choice. Most of the Maida burfi recipes I have seen, are made of Sugar. As usual, I am very conscious about using sugar and hence, these burfis are made of Jaggery. Honestly, it did not make much difference as per my neighbor who tasted and complimented. :D My mum always says that it makes a lot of difference to choose jaggery over sugar not only for better taste but for your health too. I am just glad I got away with modifying another recipe and here it is. Please feel free to modify it as you like.

Nutritional Information  (Approx) (per serving)
Energy  150 Calories
Fat 26 %
Carbohydrates 12 %
Dietary Fiber 0.8 %
Sodium 0 %
Vitamin A 0 %
Vitamin C 0 %
Calcium  1 %
Iron  7 %
Protein 2.4 Grams
Sugar 20 Grams


Ingredients 
Ghee 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon
Wheat flour 1 cup
Jaggery (grated/powdered) 1/2 cup
Water  2 tablespoons
Cardamom powder 1/2 teaspoon


  • In a pan, melt ghee. Add flour and fry till aroma starts to fill up and the flour turns slightly brown. 
  • Remove flour from heat and keep it aside to let it cool. 
  • Scrape or powder the jaggery. Add 2 tablespoons of water and heat it till it melts completely. 
  • Filter the liquid jaggery to remove the dust. 
  • Heat the jaggery syrup under low flame till it reaches one-string consistency. 
  • Add roasted flour and mix well. Make sure the heat is low and there are no lumps. 
  • Add a teaspoon of melted ghee and knead the mixture with a spoon. 
  • Add cardamom powder, combine well and remove the mixture from heat. 
  • Spread the mixture on a greased plate. Cut them into desired shapes and let them cool completely before you store them in an air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...